Corporate Privacy Statement
We have adopted, as Company policy, the ten personal information privacy principles stated in the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information. We consider “personal information” to be information about an identifiable individual. We do not consider public information found in directories and listings, or business names, addresses and/or contact numbers, to be personal information. To view our privacy statement as it relates to customer information, please click privacy statement.
Please note that you do not need to provide any personal information to use this careers website. In general, you can visit this website without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information. However, in order to make an application you will be required to provide relevant personal information, including your name, address, telephone number, email address as well as employment history information. By providing such personal information, you will be deemed to have consented to our use of the information for the limited purposes set out below.
With respect to applicants’ personal information, our commitment is as follows:
(1) Accountability – We will identify individuals in our Company who are to be specifically responsible for the protection of applicants’ personal information. Their responsibilities will include making sure that third parties who process or reference personal information on our behalf will comply with the CSA Code.
(2) Reason for Collection & Collection of Personal Information – We will only collect and use personal information about our applicants to identify them and to communicate with them in terms of job opportunities with STAPLES or its affiliates. We will not disclose any personal information concerning our applicants to anyone else and we will not permit anyone else to use personal information about an applicant for any purpose without the applicant’s consent.
(3) Consent – Before collecting, using or disclosing any personal information about any individual we will ensure that we have the individual’s consent in an appropriate form.
(4) Limiting Collection – We will collect personal information only for the purposes stated above unless we receive consent from the applicant to collect it for another purpose.
(5) Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention – We will use and disclose an applicant’s personal information only for the purposes stated above, unless we have the individual’s consent to using or disclosing it for another purpose. We will only keep personal information about applicants for as long as we need it to fulfill our stated purposes.
Finally, we may be required to disclose personal information by law or legal process.
Except under the limited circumstances described above, we will not disclose any applicant’s personal information to third parties.
(6) Accuracy – We will maintain all applicants’ personal information in our possession in as accurate form as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
(7) Safeguards – We will protect all applicants’ personal information in our possession from unauthorized access or alteration or inadvertent destruction, by appropriate security safeguards. STAPLES takes reasonable measures to protect your personal information from unauthorized access through the use of network firewalls, physical security, and use and access policies for employees. We safeguard applicant information from unauthorized access by limiting the number of employees permitted to access such information, and by having in place processes for disciplinary action where appropriate.
(8) Applicant Access – We will give any applicant access to the personal information about him or her that we have in our possession. Individuals may request access to their personal information in our possession by contacting Kate Tilsley by any of the means noted above. In the event that the applicant demonstrates that the information which we have in our possession is inaccurate or incomplete, we will make any appropriate changes.
(9) Challenging Compliance – Any individual may address any issues about our collection, use or disclosure of personal information by contacting Kate Tilsley by any of the means noted above. We will use reasonable efforts to promptly investigate any complaint you may have regarding our use of personal information.
What Personal Information will be Collected?
In order to accurately review your experience and assess your application, we collect various types of information such as:
- Your name, address & employment history
- E-mail addresses of those who e-mail us or register with us
- Information volunteered by the applicant relevant to the position they are applying for.
- Information on how many visits each page receives
By looking at usage patterns for the careers website, we know which areas need expansion and which areas are not meeting your needs. We also collect information so that we can contact you when a position that matches your qualifications becomes available.
Terms, Changes and Questions
Date: November 11, 2002